Snort mailing list archives

Re: Free VS Paid Snort rules and version expiration

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 19:02:13 +0000

On Dec 2, 2015, at 10:21 AM, wkitty42 () windstream net<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

On 12/02/2015 09:53 AM, chuckpc () yahoo com<mailto:chuckpc () yahoo com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I really could use some help here on paid vs free Snort.
Problem:   Every three months or so using free Snort the version expires and
rules no longer can be downloaded for that version which
forces us to upgrade snort across the board every three months.

it isn't every three months... there's no set time limit... for example, 2.9.6.2
is still supported and it has been available since July of 2014... call 2.9.6.2
an ""LTS"" version if you will...

Question:  Does the Paid rules subscription remove this problem or do the rules
expire with the versions every three months also?

you might look here but i don't know if it is restricted to subscribers or if it
applies to all...  https://www.snort.org/eol

otherwise i'm pretty sure that joel will be along shortly and clarify this for
you and the rest of us ;)

You have to say my name three times.

Waldo is correct.  It’s not three months.  The EOL policy hasn’t changed in almost 10 years, so it’s pretty widely
known at this point.  Everything is explained on that page.

Now that 2.9.8.0 has been release 2.9.6.2 now has an EOL (Feb 29 for those keeping score), but there’s only about 10k
users on 2.9.6.2 at this point.  We will be supporting 2.9.7.6 until 2.9.9.x comes out, which we have no date planned,
so it’ll be around for quite awhile.  However, with the additional rule functionality we have in 2.9.8.0 now, I imagine
we’ll start using that functionality soon, and it would be in everyone’s best interest to upgrade to that version.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Threat Intelligence Team & Open Source