Snort mailing list archives

Re: CVEs -> Snort Rules

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:47:44 +0000

You can search for the CVEs in the policy application interface and it will show you the applicable rules, or you can
search for the CVE on Snort.org<http://snort.org>.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Talos Group

On Nov 14, 2015, at 1:01 PM, Nate B. Clark <nateclark () tyndale com<mailto:nateclark () tyndale com>> wrote:

Hi -

In researching specific software vulnerabilities one can easily find CVEs that denote the relevant information.   For
example, https://developer.joomla.org/security-centre/628-20151001-core-sql-injection.html  provides CVE Numbers:
CVE-2015-7297, CVE-2015-7857, CVE-2015-7858.

Is there any resource out there (from Cisco/Talos/Sourcefire or otherwise) that has the ability to determine if an
existing Sort Rule maps to a published CVE?  The ultimate goal would be to ensure the relevant rules are enabled and
protect against the Joomla vulnerabilities until the software can be properly patched.   We also wish to do the same
with some specific Oracle CVEs, etc..

We are using Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center.

Thanks,

Nate Clark
Network Administrator
Tyndale House Publishers
351 Executive Dr. Carol Stream, IL 60188