Snort mailing list archives

Re: sid:36535

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:34:04 +0000

I’m being told that the rule has been fixed and will be shipped (updated) tomorrow.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Talos Group

On Oct 26, 2015, at 2:02 PM, wkitty42 () windstream net<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

On 10/26/2015 12:22 PM, Zied Naas wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to know why alerts are triggering for the payload containing only
the first content “return but not the others.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"EXPLOIT-KIT Neutrino
exploit kit landing page detected"; flow:to_client, established; file_data;
content:"return"; content:"join"; within:8; content:"MSIE"; distance:0;
content:"navigator"; within:60; metadata:policy balanced-ips drop, policy
security-ips drop, service http; classtype:attempted-user; sid:36535; rev:1;)

it is kind of funny that someone else just asked about the exact rule on the
SNORT-SIGS list...

can you provide a pcap of the transaction that fires this rule??