Snort mailing list archives

encrypted traffic

From: Marcio Guerreiro <marcio.guerreiro () hotmail co uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:59:11 +0100

Hi all

I have a question… I hope you guys can suggest me something to read about it…

Considering that a great number of websites use SSL and the Snort documentation suggests that we should not enable
encrypted traffic verification.. what it is going to happen ?

1 - Should Snort be deployed with powerful hardware capable to deal with the expensive computational demand generated
by encrypted traffic ?

2 - Should I remove  noinspect_encrypted from my snort.conf and enable the encrypted verification ?

3 - if I enable that, will Snort verify the whole packet contents ? (data payload)

Thank you

Marcio