Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 alternatives?

From: Richard Monk <rmonk () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 08:53:31 -0400

On 08/04/2015 08:43 AM, Doug Burks wrote:
Hi Richard,

Yes, we've also experienced performance issues when running multiple
barnyard2 instances connecting to the same database with the database
output plugin.  However, the barnyard2 output plugins for Sguil and
syslog seem to work well for us.  Have you considered replacing Snorby
with Sguil/Squert or some standard log collector like ELSA?

We took a look at Sguil/Squert and were unimpressed with the feature set (in
fact, we're slowly getting rid of snorby for the same reason).  I'll take a look
again.

Right now, we like having the packet data that comes with "native" DB storage,
although we're spinning up full packet capture/Bro to offset needing that as well.

ELSA/Splunk are on the table, but that would be a big change for us in terms of
our workflow (having somewhere to tag/comment/etc)

--
Richard Monk (rmonk () redhat com) - Security Analyst
Red Hat, Raleigh NC