Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort.conf - Problem with RULE_PATH & inclide

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:53:18 -0400

On 07/25/2015 06:40 AM, James Lay wrote:
On Sat, 2015-07-25 at 08:55 +0100, Charlie wrote:
var RULE_PATH ../rules

Use an absolute path:
var RULE_PATH /opt/etc/snort/rules
var SO_RULE_PATH /opt/etc/snort/rules
var PREPROC_RULE_PATH /opt/etc/snort/rules
var WHITE_LIST_PATH /opt/etc/snort/rules
var BLACK_LIST_PATH /opt/etc/snort/rules

*AND* in the case of black and white lists, ensure that you do not get the
reputation processor's black list confused with the snort rules black list...
one contains actual snort rules... the other contains only IP numbers... they
are not the same thing... the difference between one file name have an
underscore '_' in it and the other not is too close for folks to try to keep
straight... even after years of working with snort and these files, we still
find mistakes of confusion in this case...

personally speaking, i/we try to ensure that the reputation processor's white
and black list files do /not/ have a ".rules" extension... they are not "rules"
files... they are IP list files... so we use black_ips.list and
white_ips.list... since we did this, we do not have any mistakes of confusion
and more... it is very easy to see what is what and what each is used for ;)