Snort mailing list archives

Classify rules by offset and the usage of byte_jump

From: "Tommy Lin" <ljxsgtc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 04:35:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone, I am new to Snort. Here are some questions I come up with during the learning of Snort

1.
After looking through some rule sets. I am wondering that whether it is possible to classify rules by the offset of the
content it contains. To be more specific, Is it possible for an adversary to guess the goal of a rule by only knowing
the value of offset, depth, within and distance that rule has.

For example, if a rule contain the option depth:3, the adversary can guess that this rule aims at http get request
packet.

2.
Some rules have two consecutive byte_jump option.
For example,
 alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 111 (msg:"PROTOCOL-RPC portmap bootparam request TCP";
flow:to_server,established; content:"|00 01 86 A0|"; depth:4; offset:16; content:"|00 00 00 03|"; within:4; distance:4;
byte_jump:4,4,relative,align; byte_jump:4,4,relative,align; content:"|00 01 86 BA|"; within:4; content:"|00 00 00 00|";
depth:4; offset:8; metadata:ruleset community, service sunrpc; classtype:rpc-portmap-decode; sid:1264; rev:21;)

Can I merge the two options into one? If not, could you please show me an example. Actually, after reading the user
manual and several times of google, I still don’t know what the exactly the byte_jump does.

Thanks and regards,
Tommy Lin

—
Sent from Mailbox