Snort mailing list archives

Reduce Alerts - Pulledpork

From: "Cameron" <cameron () runetworks com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:35:03 -0400

Hello,

I am a new user of Snort. I installed Snort on a Ubuntu Server (14.04). With
Snort I also installed and configured Barnyard2, Pulledpork and BASE. Right
now my issue is with the amount of alerts I am getting. I only just recently
configured it with a span port on the WAN and the increase in traffic has
really caused a lot of new alerts (most of which are irrelevant).

Because I used Pulledpork and have just one rules file (snort.rules). I
cannot seem to figure out how to minimize the alerts by turning off some
rules like you can if I did not use Pulledpork.

Is there perhaps a way to configure the snort.conf file so that it has a
certain threshold? My plan is to go ahead and implement a mail server to
relay some of the more critical alerts but I need to trim these down before
I can go ahead and do that.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Cam