Snort mailing list archives

Active Rules & Management

From: Alessandro Sforzin <reg.regedit () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:06:44 +0200

Hello everyone,
I'm pretty new to SNORT and I've just started playing a little bit with it
on my home network.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How many rules are too much rules?

When I download the rule sets using a script like pulledpork and then run
SNORT, the status report says that I have loaded some 24K rules.
I understand that the more rules you use, the more resources SNORT will
consume resources, but let's suppose we are in a scenario in which you
don't have to worry about CPU/Memory usage.
Is there a point in using ALL possible rules, or is it generally
recommended to tailor the rule configurations to your specific needs?

2. Do you use scripts like pulledpork (which creates a single files for all
the rules) or you prefer to keep them in their separate .rules files?

Thanks in advance