Snort mailing list archives

Re: Segregating drop alerts

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <gl89 () cornell edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 09:24:22 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Anshuman,

Can you clarify what you mean by "drop alerts"?

I don't know anything about Snorby, but my experience of Snort in
vanilla configuration is that

  - an "alert" rule will log both an alert and the packet;
  - a "drop" rule will silently ignore the packet.

Best,
--
Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt
Cornell University IT Security Office