Snort mailing list archives

Re: SSL Initiation Rule

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 09:39:27 +0000

Comments Below.

Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 16:39:45 +0100
From: steven.j.tonge () gmail com
To: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-sigs] SSL Initiation Rule

Hi,
I’ve been trying to write a rule to alert on SSL connection initiations on all ports:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:”SSL connection initiated.”; content:”|16|”; depth:1;
content:”|01|”: depth:1; offset:5; sid:1000000001;)
which should match the content:
16 03 00 00 54 01 00 00 50 03 00 55 53 32 FA FE  ....T...P..US2..
--             --
Was Snort able to run with the above rules, or may just typos? looking at it the rule it seems that you are using a ":"
instead of ";" after the second content match and before the following depth keyword.

For SSLv3 and TLSv1 connections. I tried to test it with a simple get HTTPS get request and after failing to match, I
wrote a more general rule:
alert tcp any any <> any any (msg:”General SSL Alert.”; sid:1000000002;)
Testing this with a pcap of a HTTPS transaction, I find it matching on most of the packets but not on the client side
initiation ones, Client Hello, Client Key Exchange, etc.
Any ideas as to what’s missing?
I tested the rule above with a Client Hello and it seems to trigger fine. That said, you may also want to take a look
the ssl rules keywords for rules: http://manual.snort.org/node17.html#SECTION003214300000000000000

Thanks
Steve