Snort mailing list archives

unixsock output plugin for snort Alerts

From: "Dilipan Janarthanan (djanarth)" <djanarth () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 10:50:13 +0000

Hi, Team,

Would like to use alert_unixsock output plugin for logging alerts mainly to avoid using the disk when an alert is
produced. I’m able to get the alert, but I fail to find the ‘action’ (drop/alert/wdrop) information in the sock output.
How do we get this information with this plugin?

Also I notice that the ‘pkt' field in the alertpkt structure (spo_alert_unixsock.h) has been hardcoded to 65535. Is it
not sufficient enough to use SNAPLEN as the size of this field instead of max size?

typedef struct _Alertpkt

{

    uint8_t alertmsg[ALERTMSG_LENGTH]; /* variable.. */

    struct pcap_pkthdr32 pkth;

    uint32_t dlthdr;       /* datalink header offset. (ethernet, etc.. ) */

    uint32_t nethdr;       /* network header offset. (ip etc...) */

    uint32_t transhdr;     /* transport header offset (tcp/udp/icmp ..) */

    uint32_t data;

    uint32_t val;  /* which fields are valid. (NULL could be

                    * valids also) */

    /* Packet struct --> was null */

#define NOPACKET_STRUCT 0x1

    /* no transport headers in packet */