Snort mailing list archives

Fwd: Can we change the documentation for the -c flag please?

From: adrianc () catalyst net nz
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 12:11:32 +1200

I'd like to report an issue I had with your definition.

I was trying to get Snort to interoperate with some new tools I could
get to read Unified2 format but lost a day or two figuring out how to
test the setup on the command-line. Eventually I found that it wasn't
reading my configuration file and that I needed to tell it to with the
-c option.

I distinctly reminder getting thrown by the concept of a "Rules File"
which the snort command's -h documentation used to describe the option,
not knowing that was the same as the configuration file at
/etc/snort/snort.conf on Ubuntu.

Can we please change the documentation for the -c flag to "Use config
file <rules>" or "Use Rules (config) File <rules>"? I think that would
have been enough to avoid me loosing those days of work.

Thanks.