Snort mailing list archives

Re: Building Alert rule

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 10:44:09 +0000

Hello,

                There is an example of this provided in the manual (see below). You should be able to alter it to fit
your situation. http://manual.snort.org/node34.html#SECTION004710000000000000000

Example - this rule will fire on every failed login attempt from 10.1.2.100 during one sampling period of 60 seconds,
after the first 30 failed login attempts:

    drop tcp 10.1.2.100 any > 10.1.1.100 22 ( \
        msg:"SSH Brute Force Attempt";
        flow:established,to_server; \
        content:"SSH"; nocase; offset:0; depth:4; \
        detection_filter:track by_src, count 30, seconds 60; \
        sid:1000001; rev:1;)

Thanks!

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer