Snort mailing list archives

Re: Design and Hardware.

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 22:21:31 +0000

Hello,

Your network topology and the amount of traffic you see on your network is more of a factor than how many users. The
amount of traffic each sensor sees will dictate the type of hardware (cpu, memory, disk space etc) you need.

Snort runs well on your average x86 hardware so as long as the box itself isn't oversubscribed it will do just fine.

Worst case scenario we will be happy to sell you a few sensors as well as some ASA's to replace those Fortinet
firewalls (  shameless sales pitch fail! :) ).

Either way let us know how it goes and if you have any questions once you get going send them in!

Hope this helps!

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco