Snort mailing list archives

Re: ARPspoof preprocessor, barnyard, & BASE

From: Michael B <miboe60 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:56:16 +0200

I found the issue, it is due to BASE. For a description of how I fixed it:
http://www.winsnort.com/topic/136-arpspoof-preprocesser-events-not-logged-to-database/

From: miboe60 () hotmail com
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:01:47 +0200
Subject: [Snort-users] ARPspoof preprocessor, barnyard, & BASE

My Snort is up & running and loads of events are being logged. After weeding out some false positives, I wanted to test
the arpspoof preprocessor.
So I enabled:preprocessor arpspoof preprocessor arpspoof_detect_host: 192.168.1.1 58:6d:8f:a0:40:7f preprocessor
arpspoof_detect_host: 192.168.1.3 d4:3d:7e:38:37:4dAnd ran a arp attack using ettercap. The problem is that these
events do not show up in my winids (and neither in mysql database). It seems to be a similar problem to this:
http://seclists.org/snort/2012/q1/99Now, Ive checked my barnyard output window, and the ettercap events DO show up
there, they are just not shown in the BASE UI. My feeling is thus that it is a formatting issue: the arpspoof
preprocessor outputs the events in a format which barnyard cannot log to mysql OR which are incompatible with the BASE
interface. What I dont know is how I can solve this.