Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rules

From: Jamie Riden <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:17:14 +0000

Hi there,

It almost looks like you haven't scrolled down at all in your editor?
There should be loads of rules in icmp-info.

thanks,
 Jamie

On 23 March 2015 at 12:48, adonis okpidi <adonisokpidi () gmail com> wrote:
Hi All,

I have downloaded the Snort 2972 and also downloaded the
snortrules-snapshot-2972.tar rules but the rules all seem to be empty
containing just the copyright information. Here is an example of what
icmp-info.rules look like

how do you enable ICMP rule in snort

up vote 0 down vote favorite

I have configured snort but I need to enable detection rules in snort rule
file. I am walking through the CEH lab and I am stuck at enabling ICMP rule.
I have the file icmp-info.rules in C:\Snort\rules. I only see this when I
open the file:

# Copyright 2001-2013 Sourcefire, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
#
# This file contains (i) proprietary rules that were created, tested and
certified by
# Sourcefire, Inc. (the "VRT Certified Rules") that are distributed under
the    VRT
# Certified Rules License Agreement (v 2.0), and (ii) rules that were
created by
# Sourcefire and other third parties (the "GPL Rules") that are distributed
under the
# GNU General Public License (GPL), v2.
#
# The VRT Certified Rules are owned by Sourcefire, Inc. The GPL Rules were
created
# by Sourcefire and other third parties. The GPL Rules created by Sourcefire
are
# owned by Sourcefire, Inc., and the GPL Rules not created by Sourcefire are
owned by
# their respective creators. Please see
http://www.snort.org/snort/snort-team/ for a
# list of third party owners and their respective copyrights.
#
# In order to determine what rules are VRT Certified Rules or GPL Rules,
please refer
# to the VRT Certified Rules License Agreement (v2.0).
#
#-----------------
# ICMP-INFO RULES
#-----------------

I am suppose to uncomment an alert in the file which should contain lots of
alerts commented out. but mine doesnt seem to have that content. I have
tried deleting and redownloading but still didnt see any changes in the
file. Thanks

Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs

--
Jamie Riden / jamie () honeynet org / jamie.riden () gmail com
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jamieriden