Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort++: enum "RuleOptType"

From: Russ <rucombs () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:25:58 -0400

On 3/23/15 7:55 AM, Sancho Panza wrote:
Hello

I have noticed that IPS options register themselves with Snort by
providing their RuleOptType, either of

OPT_TYPE_LOGGING,
OPT_TYPE_DETECTION,
OPT_TYPE_META

I was trying to find out what are the exact implications of registering
one type or the other. The only place in the source that I was able to
find is in IpsManager::option_end ( ips_manager.cc), where it only makes
a difference if you provide OPT_TYPE_META or any other:

if ( ! ips )
      return (ruleOptType == OPT_TYPE_META);

In parse_rule_opt_end (parse_rule.cc) it also only makes a difference if
you provide OPT_TYPE_META.

So it looks to me like it really makes no difference at all to use
OPT_TYPE_LOGGING or OPT_TYPE_DETECTION, is that right?

Why is a distinction made between these two? Am I missing something?
Just use detection or meta.  Logging will likely disappear in a later
version and this may be replaced with a bool.

Thanks

Sancho

Archive:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=snort-devel