Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Sensors do not appear to be detecting what they should

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:25:47 +0000

From: michael.jacobi1 () navy mil
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:42:41 +0000
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort Sensors do not appear to be detecting what they  should

I have been recently asked to start working with the Snort installation at my site (Snort 2.9.6.2, Barnyard, BASE).
Based on what alerts I am seeing, I feel that the system is not detecting what is should be finding.  For example the
sensor that is facing my ISP has less than 20 detects in the last few days,
# Taking a very wild guess here, this may have to do with which rules and preprocessors are enabled/disabled, and
preprocessor configurations. Which current rules policy are you using?
and I am seeing events on sensors that I know should be passing by other sensors but I do not see an correlation in
the detects between the sensors.

# Are all the sensors configured the same? If yes then I would attempt sampling the traffic at each sensor by capturing
packets and compare the traffic as there may ACL's at each hop, TTLs, etc.

I have had prior IDS experience, but I just started attempting to work with Snort.  I would appreciate what help you
can give me to work to making this system more functional.  Pointers to FAQs and other online resources are always
helpful.

Thanks!

Mike Jacobi