Snort mailing list archives

Re: real-time alerting and rule to monitor only specific traffic

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 01:45:05 +0000

You can filter that out by applying a bpf filter to the end of your command. Below I filtered out port 80 traffic.
Without the filter I get alerts but with the filter I don’t even though the rule is “any to any” inside the conf file.

gecko:/var/tmp/snort-2.9.7.0-released # ./bin/snort -c etc/lena.conf -r etc/lena.pcap -A console:test -H -U -k none -q
1       1       1000001 0
2       1       1000001 0
3       1       1000001 0
gecko:/var/tmp/snort-2.9.7.0-released # ./bin/snort -c etc/lena.conf -r etc/lena.pcap -A console:test -H -U -k none -q
not tcp port 80
gecko:/var/tmp/snort-2.9.7.0-released #

gecko:/var/tmp/snort-2.9.7.0-released # tcpdump -n -r etc/lena.pcap -c 1
reading from file etc/lena.pcap, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet)
11:11:28.852742 IP 10.5.40.95.36884 > 10.4.31.42.80: Flags [S], seq 2514493807, win 5840, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS
val 347823238 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
gecko:/var/tmp/snort-2.9.7.0-released #

For the email alerts you can try sending messages to syslog and then emailing from there. Maybe someone else can chime
in and help out with that.

Hope this helps!

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer