Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about outstanding packets

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:00:04 +0000

It looks like Snort is being oversubscribed. Which mode are you running the daq with?

If you are using the default (pcap) you can try either afpacket or netmap and see if that changes the numbers and gives
you an idea of where to look.

Afpacket should perfom better than the pcap mode because it creates a ring of pointers to the packets.

Netmap should be able to achieve near wire speeds since netmap doesn't have the buffer copy IO overhead.

Keep in mind this could make it worse because even though the packets are being copied in faster Snort still needs time
to process them. If that happens I would lean towards looking for a box with more power or filtering down the amount of
traffic snort is seeing.

The instructions for using / setting up AFPACKET and NETMAP are in the daq manual/readme.

Hope this helps!

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco