Snort mailing list archives

Re: FP on EXPLOIT-KIT Angler(1:31046)

From: Andre DiMino <adimino () sempersecurus org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 13:49:41 -0500

Actually, the negation I used is uricontent:!"aHR0cDovL";

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Andre DiMino <adimino () sempersecurus org> wrote:
I’ve noted a few FP on the EXPLOIT-KIT Angler exploit kit outbound URL
structure (1:31046) signature. The hits all seem to be related to a
mobile ad campaigns.  For example, these GET requests trigger the sig:

GET /aHR0cDovL2VtYWlsLWFzc2V0cy5jYXItaG91bmQuY29tL2NoX2F1dG9fYnJhbmRzMS5wbmc=
HTTP/1.1
Host: m.scrallshopping[.]com
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: image/webp,*/*;q=0.8

GET /aHR0cDovL3d3dy5qb2J0aHVuZGVyLmNvbS9lL3BpeGVsLzZyVE9DaTc1Wm1xRjJTTmVveHFGdFlLTA==
HTTP/1.1
Host: m.job-binder[.]com
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: image/webp,*/*;q=0.8

GET /aHR0cHM6Ly9kMjhvdHV3a213NXg2ai5jbG91ZGZyb250Lm5ldC9wZmNsMi9iYWNrZ3JvdW5kLnBuZw==
HTTP/1.1
Host: m.shieldchaz[.]com
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: image/webp,*/*;q=0.8

GET /aHR0cDovL3d3dy5qb2J0aHVuZGVyLmNvbS9lL3BpeGVsL1ZzZXlVNlpKTUozV1FFaFlFUnhVNUNEZA==
HTTP/1.1
Host: m.headhuntexpress[.]com
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: image/webp,*/*;q=0.8

All the Base64 URI point to an image file hosted elsewhere. Some
registrations associated with the domains I’ve seen are Cognius,
Yorkshire Affiliate Promotions, "ReferenceAdvisor", and Azrael
Creatives.  The m[dot] domains seem to indicate mobile versions of the
site. I'm suspecting it might just be some attempt to obfuscate the
URLs of mobile ad campaigns?

In any case, while probably not ideal, I'm going to try negating the
"aHR0cDovL3" seen in the beginning of the URI to see if it cuts down
these particular Angler FP.

Any similar observations or thoughts?
--

Andre' M. DiMino
DeepEnd Research

"Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be
kind to each other and to everyone else" - 1 Thess 5:15 (NIV)