Snort mailing list archives

Re: Difference between drop and reject rules

From: Mark Greenman <mark.greenman.014 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:08:41 +0330

Thanks. It now works as you said.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Russ <rucombs () cisco com> wrote:

On 2/12/15 2:33 AM, Mark Greenman wrote:

 Thanks for your response and sorry that I'm answering a little late.
 You are right sir. But I think active responses are needed for "reject"
rules. Actually, based on the manual snort must sent TCP reset or ICMP
unreachable for reject rules and not for the drop rules. I think what I see
is that "drop" and "reject" work exactly the same.

They are the same only because your config tells Snort to handle drops as
rejects.  This config allows drops and rejects to work "at face value":

config response: attempts 1
#
preprocessor stream5_global: track_tcp yes, track_udp no
preprocessor stream5_tcp: policy linux
#
drop tcp any any -> any 80 ( sid:1; msg:"block only"; content:"foo"; )
reject tcp any any -> any 80 ( sid:2; msg:"block and reject";
content:"bar"; )

 Thanks again