Snort mailing list archives

Re: Disabling Rules via disablesid.conf

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 14:30:12 +0000

From: steven.vona () navy mil
To: snort () outlook com
CC: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Disabling Rules via disablesid.conf
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 14:16:22 +0000

Thanks for the heads up.  I followed your troubleshooting steps and I found the offending alert in bad_traffic.rules
file.  I deleted the line and it looks like they are disabled now.
# Glad that you found the source of the issue. Just keep in mind that manual changes to .rules files, i.e.:
deleting/commenting rules, will be overridden by the next rules update. Just a wild guess here, but from what you said
you may have these two rules in multiple .rules files, which eventually are included in snort.conf. When running Snort,
does the startup messages indicate anything about duplicate rules? Just to further verify.

Thanks again.