Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to know what is "any" ip address???

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 09:31:10 -0500

On 2/4/2015 1:04 AM, zT wrote:
thanks so much, but this file is unreadable . can this be store in ASCII format?

no... it is the actual binary packet from the network... you need to use a tool
like wireshark or tcpdump to be able to read the contents...

ALSO: please read and follow my signature... *keep list traffic on the list*...
i do not provide private assistance without a signed prepaid contract... thank
you...

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:17 AM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:

    On 2/2/2015 8:11 AM, zT wrote:
     > hello all i use
     > alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"network found in packet content!!!";
     > content:"network"; sid:10000; )
     > when snort find a packet with FB content i want to which ip address this
    packet
     > is comes from (ip header of packet) and store this packet( it content and
     > headers) in a file.
     > how can do this ?

    by default, if you haven't changed the output stuff, snort puts this information
    in the captured pcap file named snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx that is active at the time
    the alert was fired... there's one snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx pcap file active for
    each execution of snort...