Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with Content rule option

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 05:33:21 -0500

On 12/17/2014 11:01 PM, Mark Greenman wrote:
Hi. I am new to snort. I want to use content rule option to execute some actions
based on the content of the http response message (the payload). But, it can not
work properly. For example, if I want to replace some word with another, the

are you saying that you want to detect something like "cockerel" and replace it
with "####erel"?

eg:
   in the traffic stream: He's a cockerel!
   would be changed to  : He's a ####erel!

detection engine can detect some words in the http response message but can not
some of the same words in the same message. Sometimes it can't even detect a
single word. The problem is that it works properly for the content of the http
header. Does anyone know the reason?

it could be that the content is being split over packets and not being
reassembled for detection... it could be that you're looking in the wrong
buffer... there's several other things it could be, too...

post the rule so more eyes can see it and possibly find something off in it...