Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort's capabilities

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 23:18:05 +0000

Snort is both a protocol analysis IPS and it has the ability to simple and extremely complex pattern matching and
analysis.

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager

On Dec 10, 2014, at 5:25 PM, Savakh S <sovakah () gmail com> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a general question about snort's capabilities.
I know Snort works by "pattern matching" of attacks signatures since Snort is not a "protocol analysis" IDS. However
I saw Snort could detect a wrong value "Content-length" in a Post HTTP request.
So, how can Snort detect this malformed request ? Is this a feature provided by the preprocessor of the HTTP protocol
?

Thanks for your answers
Snort-users list archive: