Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ignoring Backups - TCP Stateful?

From: Doug Burks <doug.burks () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:30:23 -0500

Replies inline.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Colony.Three <Colony.Three () protonmail ch> wrote:
So evidently Snorby has just been stupidly reporting -0- events for days,
without giving ANY indication that netsniff-ng, snort-1, and prads WEREN'T
EVEN RUNNING!  So I sure can't depend on Snorby as a remote monitor for SO.

Snorby wasn't designed to monitor sniffing processes.  It was designed
to monitor IDS alerts.

I've been told several methods for restarting SecurityOnion so I don't know
which is right, but using:
# service nsm-sensor restart
... it tells me the above three daemons are failing (so I now know) and to
refer to the respective error logs.

I've put the logs here:
https://pastee.org/954jm

In addition to the bpf syntax error I mentioned in my previous email,
I also see the following Snort error:
ERROR: The dynamic detection library
"/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/file-image.so" version 1.0 compiled
with dynamic engine library version 2.1 isn't compatible with the
current dynamic engine library
"/usr/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so" version 2.4.

Please see:
https://code.google.com/p/security-onion/wiki/FAQ#I_just_updated_Snort_and_it's_now_saying_'ERROR:_The_d

Looks like SO is really hosed again.

I wouldn't say "really hosed".  These issues can be resolved.