Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple errors on Snort

From: Anshuman Anil Deshmukh <anshuman () cybage com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 10:30:18 +0000

Hi,

Some updates to this issue.

I was able to dump the dynamic rules. But then the other error is still not gone hence I am unable to use the so_rules.
Somehow the Snort is detecting incorrect path inspite of mentioning the correct path in my config files.

Getting this error-
ERROR: /etc/snort//usr/local/etc/snort/so_rules/bad-traffic.rules(0) Unable to open rules file
"/etc/snort//usr/local/etc/snort/so_rules/bad-traffic.rules": No such file or directory.

Following is the configuration for the so rules in my snort.conf

var SO_RULE_PATH /etc/snort/so_rules/

None of these works-
include /usr/local/etc/snort/so_rules/bad-traffic.rules
OR
include $RULE_PATH/bad-traffic.rules.

Before upgrading, explicit path (without the variable) was working properly. Why is it not working with the new version
now?

I am giving here information on how dump dynamic rule thing worked after I removed the my old configuration of
stream5_global and used the default configuration. But couldn't understand which of the old parameters were the reason
for the issue. Just putting it here so that experts can analyze the same.

Previously these were the settings -
preprocessor stream5_global: track_tcp yes, \
memcap 536870912 \
track_udp yes, \
track_icmp no, \
max_tcp 1048576, \
max_udp 524288, \
max_active_responses 2, \
min_response_seconds 5 \
detect_scans \
# Added for performance
dont_store_large_packets \
disable_evasion_alerts timeout 120 \
#Added on 23rd Oct 2013
show_rebuilt_packets

Following resolved the issue-
preprocessor stream5_global: track_tcp yes, \
   track_udp yes, \
   track_icmp no, \
   max_tcp 262144, \
   max_udp 131072, \