Snort mailing list archives

Re: Inline snort negative impact on network

From: Charlie Heselton <charles.heselton () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:43:42 -0800

Oh, daq configuration from snort.conf:
config daq: afpacket
config daq_dir: /usr/lib64/daq
#config daq_mode: passive
config daq_mode: inline
config daq_var: buffer_size_mb=1024

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Charlie Heselton <

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:09:45 -0800
From: charles.heselton () gmail com
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Inline snort negative impact on network

YM,

I'm not sure what "lro, gro, and the rest of the gang" means, or what is
involved in dis-/enabling them.

I have tweaked the RX/TX buffers.  Here are (some of) the tuning changes
I've made in /etc/sysctl.conf:
# Performance settings
net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 10000
net.core.r mem_default = 16777216
net.core.rmem_max = 33554432
net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 194688 259584 389376
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 1048576 4194304 33554432
net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 0
# IF also in Inline mode:
net.core.wmem_default = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 33554432
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 1048576 4194304 16777216
# Memory handling ? not that important
vm.overcommit_memory=2
vm.overcommit_ratio = 50

These tunings are based on various article I've found while googling.

I will tak a look at the http_inspect configuration.

Thanks again, for the advice.

## Sorry I wasn't clear. These are the NIC offloading options which are
not desired when sniffing packets as they "manipulate" how packets are
presented to kernel/Snort.  For example, for LRO and GRO:
http://manual.snort.org/node7.html. There are other offloading features
that may need to be disable as well, such as GSO, TSO. Run ethtool -k
<interface> to see what is enabled/disabled and then use ethtool -K to
disable them as mentioned in the link.

What I meant by the RX/TX buffers are the NIC ones, not only the
kernel's. Use the ethtool again (with -g and -G) to determine/modify the
values of the buffers: http://linux.die.net/man/8/ethtool. What daq mode
are running?

YM

This is what's on by default, on my system:
ethtool -k enp2s0 | grep "on$"
rx-checksumming: on
generic-receive-offload: on
rx-vlan-offload: on
tx-vlan-offload: on

I'm assuming GRO is generic-receive-offload?  I'll play around with
disabling the others.  No VLANs in my setup.

ethtool -g enp1s0 just gives me an error:
Ring parameters for enp1s0:
Cannot get device ring settings: Operation not supported

Did I miss something in the kernel config?

I did bump the txqueuelen, with ifconfig, from 1000 to 10000 (based on one
article I found).  Another article I read said that all interfaces involved
needed to be in promisc mode.  That is now also set for the 2 bridge
interfaces, and the connected interface on the linux firewall.  I can't do
anything with the dumb-switch being used on the other end.

Hopefully I will get a chance to do some more testing tonight, with all of
these tweaks in place.

Thanks.
-Charlie