Snort mailing list archives

Re: How can I remove redundant entries from the database?

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 20:40:22 +0000

From: Avery.Rozar () i-techsupport com
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:37:06 +0000
Subject: [Snort-users] How can I remove redundant entries from the database?

I’m using Barnyard2 to send alerts to a PostgreSQL database. As you all know one alert could actually be hundreds, or
even thousands of events in the database. Is there a script available that removes redundant alerts from the database
based on iphdr.ip_src, iphdr.ip_dst and event.sid, event.signature and leaves the original based on event.cid?

I do not know of any "direct" method. The problem stems (in my opinion) from the fact that referential integrity is not
enforced into the database schema, due to performance preference, i.e., referential integrity makes insertions a bit
slower while increasing the performance of deletions and vice versa. In this case insertions are more important than
deletions.
The last time I tried to do that was a while back and I ended up with a pretty long SQL query that did not even
complete after 24 hours, eventually I gave up on it and used the archive database to have historical data while the
"live" database was fully truncated periodically.
YM

Thanks,
Avery