Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort with AFPacket

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 05:28:22 -0700

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 21:26 -0500, waldo kitty wrote:

On 11/3/2014 8:56 PM, James Lay wrote:
On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 20:44 -0500, Sec Aficionado wrote:
Great, thank you for the explanation. NFQ was indeed my next step
after trying AFPacket. AFPacket was easier to build, but I did not
realize it might have serious side effects.

 From the high level description of NFQ, it still works with iptables,
but in a more efficient manner?

It's.....interesting.  You have to be careful with where you place your
iptables QUEUE rule for Snort to use.  Because any rules placed AFTER
the QUEUE rule are not looked at....as soon as the packet hits the QUEUE
rule snort will either drop it as an IPS hit, or will pass it up the
stack.  So make sure you nmap the box once you put it in place...don't
want any open surprises ;)

that's going to be fun to do... i'm extremely familiar with the setup that the
OP is working with... the entire configuration is built by iptables and getting
the queues in place is going to be early in the process /IF/ i'm looking at
things properly... that also puts snort towards the end of all the flow instead
of at the head of it unless i'm missing what you mean by "pass [the packet] up
the stack"...

Yep..it's a hoot ;)  And good call on the multiple NIC's waldo.

James