Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Instances of SNORT

From: "Stark, Vernon L." <Vernon.Stark () jhuapl edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 14:24:55 +0000

Did you configure your DAG NIC to distribute traffic to multiple interfaces?  If you do that, you can have each Snort
instance process a portion of the traffic.  You’d then specify different interfaces for each Snort instance such as
dag0:0, dag0:2, dag0:4 etc.

If memory serves, the DAG card doesn’t allow multiple processes to access a single stream.  So, if you start a second
Snort instance using the same stream, I believe it will not be allowed to receive traffic from that interface.

Vern