Snort mailing list archives

Re: Shellshock Signatures

From: Ron Haines <rhaines () grantspassoregon gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:13:09 +0000

Sorry for reposting, but it appears that my text was missing when I checked on the Snort user archives. Not exactly
sure what the problem was, but trying again with plain text and no signature...

I have been seeing multiple alerts on 1:31977:3 when people visit the Newegg website. This is a community rule and I'm
thinking this is a false positive. I have found several instances in the websites code where they use a lot of function
calls that have () { in them. This is how the rule is built for 1:31977, 31978, 31975, and 31976. So far, only the
31977 has been triggered from Newegg. If it is a false positive, it's not a big deal. I just wanted to run this by the
group to make sure I don't have to look at something else or contact Newegg about this.

Thanks,

Ron Haines