Snort mailing list archives

Re: Port problems in a rule

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:10:01 -0400

On 10/17/2014 2:58 PM, Kurzawa, Kevin wrote:
The port variable doesn’t seem to like me. I recently started playing with rules
and found an unexpected problem. Wondering what I’m doing wrong.

how are you attempting to trigger these rules?

# works

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg: "LOCAL-RULE Test for TestMyIDS.com"; content:
"testmyids.com"; classtype:misc-activity; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

do you have a pcap for this? i suspect that you are seeing this trigger on
something other than http traffic which your other two rules appear to be
looking for... maybe DNS traffic here when the browser looks up the domain to
find out which IP to connect to...

# doesn't work

#alert tcp any any -> any 80 (msg: "LOCAL-RULE Test for TestMyIDS.com"; content:
"testmyids.com"; classtype:misc-activity; sid:1000001; rev:2;)

# doesn't work

#alert tcp any any -> any $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "LOCAL-RULE Test for TestMyIDS.com";
content: "testmyids.com"; classtype:misc-activity; sid:1000001; rev:3;)

aside from that, you should perhaps capture the traffic to a pcap with wireshark
or tcpdump... that way you can more easily see what ports are being used and
what the contents of the traffic actually are... it is possible that your
content string doesn't appear in the traffic at all...