Snort mailing list archives

Re: I cannot find the shellshock bug detection rule in the latest community rules from https://www.snort.org

From: Teo En Ming <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:58:38 +0800

Dear Snort users,

I have just tested my server for the Shell Shocked GNU Bash remote exploit security vulnerability by executing the following command on my BASH shell.

|$ env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test"

The output is:

||bash: warning: x: ignoring function definition attempt
bash: error importing function definition for `x'
this is a test|

My server is NOT vulnerable to the Shellshock security vulnerability. My GNU BASH is version 4.1.2-15. I can sleep easy
tonight knowing that my server is secure. I don't need to patch GNU BASH on my server any more.
Last time I had to patch my RHEL 7 server for the OpenSSL heartbleed vulnerability.

My Snort NIDS is on standby waiting for people to scan my Apache web server for the Shellshock remote exploit
vulnerability.

Reference Article:Shell shock: what you need to do NOW about the bash remote exploit vulnerability
<https://forum.bytemark.co.uk/t/shell-shock-what-you-need-to-do-now-about-the-bash-remote-exploit-vulnerability/2068>

--
Yours sincerely,

Teo En Ming