Snort mailing list archives

Re: A size of log file is zero although there is an attack

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:42:53 -0600

On 2014-09-24 00:12, Jutichai Thongkrachai wrote:
Any idea? I try to do the solution of similar problems but its not
work.
On Sep 20, 2014 12:51 PM, "Jutichai Thongkrachai"
<thsecmaniac () gmail com [11]> wrote:

Hello,

I set up Snort 2.9.6.2 on CentOS 7. the setting up is fine. there is
not any error. I configure snort to generate a log file in unified2
type.I run snort with Network Intrusion Detection System mode with
this command:

_SNORT -DEV -H -C /ETC/SNORT/SNORT.CONF -I ENP2S0_

the console show packets flow through the network.

I test my snort by run a port scanning to 2 PCs in the network with
Zenmap (Windows version of Nmap). When Zenmap run finish, there is a
file in /var/log/snort :

-rwxrwxrwx. 1 snort snort    0 Sep 16 14:04 barnyard2.waldo
drwxr-xr-x. 3 snort snort 4096 Sep  7 11:44 enp2s0
-rw-------. 1 root  root     0 Sep 20 11:30
merged.log.1411187404
-rw-------. 1 root  root     0 Sep 20 11:30
tcpdump.log.1411187404

as you can see, there are  2 log file but both of them are empty
(their size are zero)

I dont know why they are empty.

Here the snort.conf of my Snort:

# syslog