Snort mailing list archives

Re: No Sensors Showing in Snorby

From: "Matt M." <mr10001 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:23:20 -0500

*what "log file"? / **what is its name?*

I'm assuming "snort.log", as this is whats configured in my snort.conf in
my output module section.  I've also seen that it's being used via ps aux
and have additional snort.log files with date/time stamps appended to them.

*what does the output section of your snort.conf look like?*
unified2
# Recommended for most installs
output unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128, nostamp, mpls_event_types,
vlan_event_types
#output unified2: output log_unified2: filename
/private/var/log/snort/snort.log, limit 128

*is barnyard reading the log file and populating the database?*

I can only assume so, as I do not receive any errors when I run the
following command:

/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /usr/local/etc/barnyard2.conf -d
/private/var/log/snort -f snort.log

I do have the same files within /var/log/snort/

*are barnyard and snorby both using the same database?*

This is a good question!  I know barnyard is configured to use the db I
setup "snort".  However, I just realized my snorby database.yml was not
configured correctly.  I did not have it pointing to the snort db.

I just corrected this and now I received this error:

DataObjects::SyntaxError (Table 'snort.users' doesn't exist):

  app/controllers/application_controller.rb:37:in `user_setup'

I checked the database and it does have a number of tables setup, but I do
not see snort.users.  I Googled and found someone suggesting to run rake
snorby:setup  but running that I get an error saying that the snort
database already exists. =).  Is there an easy way to add the necessary
table?  Can I just add an empty snort.users table... I have a feeling it
would not be that easy.  Should I just blow away the database?  I did run:
create_mysql
<https://github.com/eldondev/Snort/blob/master/schemas/create_mysql>
 previously.

Thanks again!

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
I've been able to get Snort, Barnyard2, Pulled Pork, and Snorby
"working".
  However, I'm not seeing any sensors populate in Snorby.

My *Snort Config* has:
output unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128, nostamp,
mpls_event_types,
vlan_event_types

*Barnyard2.conf* has:
output database: log, mysql, dbname=snort user=snorby password=PASSWORD
host=localhost

I can see that snort is running and creating a snort.log file.

what "log file"?
what is its name?
what does the output section of your snort.conf look like?
is barnyard reading the log file and populating the database?
are barnyard and snorby both using the same database?

details, man... details ;)

--

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!

--
Matt M., CISSP, GCFE, GCFA

*“*To disagree leads to study, to study leads to understanding, to
understand is to appreciate, to appreciate is to love. So maybe I’ll end up
loving your theory.*”* -*John Wheeler*