Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help needed to modify drop rules to reject rules with pulledpork modifysid.conf

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 17:30:31 +0000

Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Help needed to modify drop rules to reject rules with pulledpork modifysid.conf
From: alexcklam () gmail com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:11:57 -0700
CC: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
To: snort () outlook com

More inline...I tried this line in modifysid.conf
* "^\s*drop" “reject"
but it did not work even when my pulledpork.conf already has this line:-
state_order = enable,drop,modify,disable
# I do not believe that modify is an allowed value for state_order. You probably have already read the comments in
pulledpork.conf : "# the valid values are disable, drop, and enable.", and hence the reason it may be not running as
you are expecting.
<ALEX>  I am not sure if “modify” is an allowed value for state_order here. Interestingly, I see modifysid.conf getting
processed just before disablesid.conf in my pulledpork log.
## That's because PulledPork processes modifysid before anything else, see below (Bug #82 ...).
# In the changes document, there is this: "Bug #82 - Modified run order to force modifysid to run before all other sid
state modification routines".  So,  in your modifysid.conf you are changing from "drop" to "reject", however,  since
modifysid is run first, then there will be no changes since the the rules tarball does not ship with "drop" state. In
other words, PulledPork does not find anything to change.

<ALEX> Yes, that’s possible. It seems like modify is done twice - once before enablesid.conf, once after dropsid.conf.
I suspect rules that get are enabled from dropsid.conf failed to match the “\s*drop” regex.
## I do not see this in my logs. Probably it is because you have explicitly added the "modify" to the state_order. That
said, logically speaking, PulledPork processes the rule from the original rules tarball. If the state_order change you
have made causes PulledPork to run "modify" again after "disabled", it would still not find anything to change since
the rules ship with the "alert" action.

<ALEX> Yes, that's goes back to my original query -- when PulledPork process those XXXXsid.conf files, does it base on
rule state in tarball? Or the running rule state based on the output from the processed XXXXsid.conf file.The fact that
README file mentioned "precedence", I assume it's baed on the latter.
### Correct. However, PulledPork starts with rules having the rule action of "alert", that's why the initial "modify"
does not actually change anything, since you are specifying to change the action from "drop" which does not exist.

Here are extracts from my pulledpork run log:
Modifying Sids....      Modifying ALL SIDS from:^\s*drop to:reject      Done!Processing
/root/pulledpork-0.7.0/etc/enablesid.conf....   Enabled 1:2005283       Enabled 1:2010514
<snip>
        Will drop 124:8 Will drop 131:3 Modified 12783 rules    DoneProcessing
/root/pulledpork-0.7.0/etc/modifysid.conf....    Modified 0 rules        DoneProcessing
/root/pulledpork-0.7.0/etc/disablesid.conf....
<snip>
Any ideas how I can turn dropsid.conf-enabled rules from “drop” to “reject”??
# An idea would be to create a backup of your disablesid.conf, and then start with a fresh/empty disablesid.conf, then
in your modifysid.conf just modify "alert" to "reject".
<ALEX> Sorry. I lost your logic here. Why would a fresh disablesid.conf help?
## From what I understood from your original post, you want to change the action from "drop" to "reject", correct? If
so, and since PulledPork is not finding any rules with "drop" action from the original tarball, simply add the
modifications into modifysid.conf. If you keep sids in dropsid.conf, then the respective rules will change to drop,
since "drop" happens after the "modify" stage. I hope this makes since :)
<ALEX> Ideally, pulledport supports "rejectsid.conf" and I will move all my "dropsid.conf" rules to it. However, it
does not. So I am faking it by selecting my rules in "dropsid.conf" followed by "modifysid.conf" to convert them to
"reject".
### Why not change the rule action from "alert" to "reject" immediately at the first "modify", instead of changing
"alert" to "drop" to "reject", saving you an additional layer of processing?

Thanksalex

current on all the latest Snort news!