Snort mailing list archives

Re: cannot decode data link type 239

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 10:44:57 -0600

On 2014-09-09 10:33, Sharif Uddin wrote:
Hello

I have had snort running for a while without problems, just recently
it has not logged anything which is weird. When I done strace on
snort
I found the following problem

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 4

ioctl(4, SIOCGIFADDR, {ifr_name="nflog", ???}) = -1 ENODEV (No such
device)

close(4) = 0

write(2, "ERROR: Cannot decode data link t"..., 40ERROR: Cannot
decode
data link type 239

) = 40

write(2, "Fatal Error, Quitting..n", 24Fatal Error, Quitting..

I have googled this and all answers point to running extra command on
build. But my snort was running fine, which does not make sense

I use following to run snort

snort -q -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i ens34 -D

barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf -d /var/log/snort -f snort.u2
-w /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo

how do I fix this

Sharif Uddin

Might want to ./configure by adding --enable-non-ether-decoders for
testing.

James