Snort mailing list archives

Re: logging location

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 00:47:42 +0000

On Sep 8, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Sean Browne <seanpbrowne () gmail com<mailto:seanpbrowne () gmail com>> wrote:

Hi,

For testing/learning I have one rule:

alert ip any any -> any any ( msg:"Fred Alert";content:"fred";nocase; sid: 1; )

When this rule is triggered, a message is written to my /var/log/messages file. How can I tell snort to log it
somewhere else? I want to index the alerts/messages with SPLUNK but I don't want all the other stuff found in
/var/log/messages.

I also use the command line option b so any captured data is saved in a pcap type file.  This is completely separate
right? There are the traffic dumps in one locations and msgs/alerts somewhere else?

You can configure multiple alert methods.  You can have your alerts go to splunk, and archive in pcap format.

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager