Snort mailing list archives

Is this claim still true for portscan detection in Snort ?

From: sashank <sashankdvk () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 23:17:51 -0700

Hi ,

This paper[1] talks about a "fast port scan detection engine" and the technique is popularly known as a Threshold
Random Walking(TRW).

They claim that Snort's approach has "the drawback that once the window
size is known it is easy for attackers to evade detection by
simply increasing their scanning interval."

Now this paper is 10 years old and talks about Snort 2.0.2. There have been many recent advances in port scan detection
like TRW and BLR implemented in [2].

I see that the portscan detection technology has matured a lot .

What is the latest on Snort's port scan detection technology?  I see that at least the documentation of port scanning
is not touched since 2004. Am not sure of the code.

Regards,
Sashank

        1. Jung, Jaeyeon, et al. "Fast portscan detection using sequential hypothesis testing." Security and Privacy,
2004. Proceedings. 2004 IEEE Symposium on. IEEE, 2004.
        2. https://tools.netsa.cert.org/silk/rwscan.htm