Snort mailing list archives

Cannot build afpacket module for DAQ 2.0.2

From: Sec Aficionado <secaficionado () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 19:26:19 -0400

Hello,

I have been trying to build the afpacket module using DAQ 2.0.2 on a Linux
machine with kernel 2.6.32, but the ./configure script refuses to enable
it. Even using the option --enable-afpacket-module=yes yields the same
result:

Build AFPacket DAQ module.. : no
Build Dump DAQ module...... : yes
Build IPFW DAQ module...... : yes
Build IPQ DAQ module....... : yes
Build NFQ DAQ module....... : yes
Build PCAP DAQ module...... : yes

Everything else builds without problem, and snort is actually running on
the system as IDS, but I was trying to configure it to run as IPS, in order
to compare performance between the configurations suggested in the
documents "Changing from IDS to IPS with NFQueue" by James Lay and "Snort
IPS using DAQ AFPacket" by Yaser Mansour.

Here's some information about the system

gcc v 3.3.5
Libpcap v 1.5.3
PCRE v 7.8 2008-09-05
ZLIB v 1.2.3
libmnl v 1.0.1
libnfnetlink v 1.0.1
libnetfilter_queue v 1.0.1

I tried building/re-building libdnet 1.11 and 1.12 in the system. They both
build and install but neither changes the behavior of DAQ's configure.

Now my question is: is this an expected outcome with these older versions
of kernel and gcc? If not, please suggest where to look next? As I
mentioned, all the packages build, install and run, but the afpacket module
is the only one that refuses to build.

Thanks in advance for your help/guidance.