Snort mailing list archives

alerts on blacklisted IPs

From: Victor-Alexandru Truica <vat () mnworks dk>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:40:06 +0200

Hello,

I have a blacklist file containing multiple IP ranges. I want to create a general rule that will fire an alert like "Blacklisted interaction":

alert $HOME_NET any -> $BLACKLIST_DSHIELD any (msg:"Blacklist interaction";sid:1000100;)

Since the IPs and IP ranges are to many i thought that it would be too much of a hasle to define my ipvar like:

ipvar BLACKLISTED_IP [88.88.88.88,99.99.99.99,...]

Is it possible to create an ipvar that would load it's IPs from an external file, say like:

ipvar BLACKLISTED_IP [/root/blacklistfile]

Or

ipvar BLACKLISTED_IP include ipblacklist.txt

?

I've tried different variations of the path for "ipvar BLACKLISTED_IP [/root/blacklistfile]" but nothing worked.

PS - i've read a bit on the Reputation preprocessor (http://manual.snort.org/node175.html) but i don't want to " block/drop/pass" the packets, i just want an alert on this.

--
Victor-Alexandru Truica
Blog/Website : http://truica-victor.com