Snort mailing list archives

Re: Issues with remote syslog and snort.conf

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:47:51 -0600

On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 15:30 -0400, Stephen Gantz wrote:
James,

Is your syslog host your gateway? You have the host in the first alert
line as 192.168.1.1. If it is the same box you are running Snort on,
you can just use local host instead, like this:

output alert_syslog: host=127.0.0.1:514, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

Otherwise, maybe you meant to have 192.168.1.253 in there. I was under
the impression that the comma separator (in your first line, but not
the second) is required. I have never tried to list the host last
instead of first, but I have never had any trouble listing the host
first.

One other thing to try: are you using -s in your startup command for
Snort? I have found that the -s option is needed, even when snort.conf
is configured properly for syslog output. I know this is counter to
the documentation, but you might try adding -s to the startup string.

Dr. Stephen D. Gantz

CISSP-ISSAP, CEH, CGEIT, CRISC, CIPP/G, C|CISO
Professor of Information Assurance
The Graduate School
University of Maryland University College
stephen.gantz () faculty umuc edu

On Jul 26, 2014, at 2:31 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>