Snort mailing list archives

Having trouble editing the configuration file for Windows

From: Trevor Thompson <trevthom18 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:13:47 -0400

Hello,

I would like to run snort with custom rulesets on a couple of different
Windows VM's such as: Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows XP, but
I'm having issues with changing the path for the dynamic library files. I
already edited the section of the code that specified the path these
different dynamic libraries would be on a Linux system, but I am still
having errors with running snort using the conf file that I edited. Here is
the chunk of code that I edited, and the error that snort encounters while
trying to run:

# path to dynamic preprocessor libraries
dynamicpreprocessor directory
C:\Snort\lib\snort_dynamicpreprocessor\sf_dcerpc.dll

# path to base preprocessor engine
dynamicengine C:\Snort\lib\snort_dynamicengine\sf_engine.dll

# path to dynamic rules libraries
dynamicdetection directory C:\Snort\lib\snort_dynamicengine\sf_engine.dll

"ERROR: c:\snort\etc\snort.conf(243) Could not stat dynamic module path
"C:\Snort\lib\snort\dynamic_
preprocessor\sf_dcerpc.dll": No such file or directory"

I've been following a tutorial that told me to change the path's to the
different dynamic library files in this manner, but the program still will
not compile correctly. Here is a link to the tutorial:

http://kailaspatil.blogspot.com/2013/07/tutorial-to-configure-and-use-snort-ids.html

The dynamicpreprocessor directory seems to be what is causing the issue. I
looked in the folder to see if I could find the file specified but I
couldn't find the file in any of the different directories that come with
the Windows Installation. Is there a different path that I should specify
for this path of the program? Or, is there a place where I can download
this dynamic library. I've been searching on the internet to find any
clues, but haven't had much luck -  any type of help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor