Snort mailing list archives

Re: Learning more about alerts

From: "Tom Peters (thopeter)" <thopeter () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:21:28 +0000

Rowell,

There are two ways HTTP headers can specify the length of the message body. They can specify the total length using the
Content-Length header or they can specify "chunked" using the Transfer-Encoding header. Chunks are a sequence of
individual body pieces each with their own length header. Chunks work well when the server is making up the response as
it goes along and does not know the length up front.

Normally when an HTTP server sends a response that includes a body you will see one header or the other so the client
knows what to expect. When neither one is present you get this alert.

Tom