Snort mailing list archives

Re: FW: Afpacket daq-2.0.1 snort

From: Anshuman Anil Deshmukh <anshuman () cybage com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:36:26 +0000

Hi Jaime,

Below mail was sent by me earlier, which got stuck due to some error in my mailbox and it went through after I cleaned
up my mailbox. I would like to update this mail thread that I did got an answer from the vendor for configuring the NIC
if the snort application crashes.

The vendor said that it can be done using these two different ways.

1. They have their API to control the NIC (niagara_util -k).

2. Call the system functions themselves. The source code is with the driver. They have examples under
user_api/examples/module_kick.c under the drivers they have provided.

The vendor have specifically recommended using the 'kick' option. They said that whenever the snort application fails,
the 'kick' can be configured to stop sending heartbeats by which the NIC will go to bypass because of the missed
heartbeat.

Looking at the solution that vendor has provided, please let me know under which Gen exactly would my NIC come. Also
please comment on the solution if it would be appropriate to use for an inline IPS solution OR you have any other
recommendations.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anshuman