Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Alert [1:xx] - sid-msg.map looks correct

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:09:31 +0000

Barnyard2 just needs to read the new file.  After that, things should log correctly.

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2014, at 13:24, "William Rehnquyst" <rehnquyst () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

I've added some custom rules I grabbed from SANS, and changed them a little bit to look like this:

alert tcp any any <> any any (msg:"American Express card number detected in clear
text";pcre:"/3\d{3}(\s|-)?\d{6}(\s|-)?\d{5}/";content:"amex";nocase;sid:1000156;rev:1;)

Pulledpork update seems to have generated the sid-msg.map correctly, because this alert does show up in the file:

1000156 || American Express card number detected in clear text

However, in my frontend, Snorby, the alerts are showing up "Snort Alert [1:1000156:1], which from my research seem to
indicate that it's because either sid-msg.map isn't update (which it is), or barnyard2 wasn't restarted. I've
rebooted the server, so barnyard2 should have restarted correctly.

Was there something I missed?

Thanks!
Rehn