Snort mailing list archives

Packet I/O Totals section

From: elof () sentor se
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:41:29 +0200 (CEST)

When stopping snort, or dumping stats, you get this section:

Packet I/O Totals:
    Analyzed:   xxxxxxx ( 99.811%)
     Dropped:   yyyyyyy (  0.730%)
    Filtered:         0 (  0.000%)
Outstanding:   zzzzzzz (  0.189%)
    Injected:         0

Filtered is not supported by the pcap DAQ, so 0.
Injected is 0 since I'm not running in inline mode.

No questions about these two. But...

1) Exactly where is the Received value coming from?
Is it an internal counter of *actually received packets* within snort, or
is this value supplied by the daq-system, bpf-system or simillar?

2) I guess analyzed is the amount of packets from the received ones that
actually made it all the way through snort processing. Correct? ...or is
this aquired elsewhere?

3) Dropped seem to be the reported drop count from the bpf-system. This
should mean that Dropped = "Capture drops (drops outside of snort)".
Correct?

4) Outstanding seem to simply be Received minus Analyzed. Correct?

I get very confusing numbers, that's why I'm asking.
When I have descriptions of what the values should be, I can create a
future bug report, if needed.

So, for the four titles above, can I have a short description of what they
truly are and where the values come from?

/Elof